Hi, my name is Dr. Alex Fitzpatrick. I’m a zooarchaeologist and researcher at the University of Bradford.
I received my BA in Classical Archaeology, Anthropology, and Special Honours from CUNY Hunter College in 2015.
In 2016, I received my MSc in Archaeological Sciences from the University of Bradford. My dissertation was titled Fishing, Diet, and Environment in the Iron Age of the Northern Isles.
I remained at the University of Bradford until 2021, where I received my PhD in Archaeology. My dissertation was titled Ritual and Funerary Rites in Later Prehistoric Scotland: An Analysis of Faunal Assemblages from the Covesea Caves.
For inquiries, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am currently looking for research and commercial positions based in the United Kingdom starting in January 2022, including freelance opportunities – please do not hesitate to get in contact with me if you’re looking to discuss a potential project! My current CV can be downloaded below.
Current Research Interests
- Using Decolonial Approaches to Zooarchaeology, Archaeology, and Natural History Studies
- Critical Evaluation of Current Decolonial Practices in Archaeology
- Developing Action Plans towards Decolonisation
- Ritual and Funerary Zooarchaeology
- Non-Anthropocentric and Post-Humanist Approaches to Zooarchaeology
- Effects of Colonisation on Introductions and Extinctions of Species
- Embracing Archival Research for Future Zooarchaeology
- Ethical Approaches to Zooarchaeology
- Current Issues in Archaeology
- Ableism – Mental Health, Enabled Archaeologies, Reframing Archaeological Practice
- Sexism – Effects of Toxic Masculinity in Archaeology, Critical and Intersectional Evaluation of Current Feminist Approaches to Archaeology
- Racism – Whiteness and Archaeology, Racism within British Archaeology
- Effects of Immigration and Border Control on Commercial and Research Archaeology
- Increasing Archaeological Outreach through Digital Approaches
- Pop Culture and Archaeology – Video Games, Films, and “New Age” Holistic Lifestyles
Other Places to Find Me
- Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (FSA Scot)
- International Council of Archaeozoology (ICAZ)
- Association of Environmental Archaeology (AEA)
- Prehistoric Society
- Glasgow Natural History Society (GNHS)
- Society for the History of Natural History (SHNH)
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5447-2252
Also, I have no idea how to ride a bike.